Friday 17 November 2006

Chapter 3: In My Dream

Dear Readers,

I know that every fan has a personal stake to the one person they want to share their fantasies with. So since this is fan fiction, I will have mine too. Please forgive me for the coming chapters. They are in no way meant to desecrate your fantasies.

*****

The next day, when we reached the recording studio, there was a surprise waiting.

“Someone dropped this off for you,” said Shi Kyung hyung, tossing me a box.

It was a box of chocolates, with a card on it.

“Oooh!! Nuna’s got a fan, or wait?? Could it be an anti-fan? Since they think you are hogging the both of us,” said Skye, grabbing the box from me.

“Rubbish! What makes you think so?” I managed to save the card from him.

“I will sacrifice myself for you, nuna. I will taste to chocolates to make sure they’re not poisoned,” said Skye, gleefully unwrapping the chocolates.

“And if anything happens to you, people will try to poison nuna for sure,” said Shoei, shaking his head.

“Mmm… expensive stuff!”

I walked off into a corner to read the card.

***
Annyong Sierra,

Thanks for coming to the party yesterday. It was great meeting you… and the guys too of course. Perhaps, when you have the time, we can go out together again. For now, please accept this gift as a token of friendship.

U-Know
***

Omigod… I am gonna puke out of joy. What did I do to get this attention? Did he really feel that electricity yesterday, like I thought he did?

“Nuna, who is it from?” asked Shoei.

“It’s from the TVXQ guys, they sent a token of friendship.”

“See!! I knew it wasn’t for her alone. Come on, Shoei. Dig in!!”

“Don’t eat too much, Skye. We have recording to do in awhile.”

“But nuna, I’m stressed. Now that I am famous, it’s so stressful and chocolates are good for relieving stress.”

“Whatever,” said Shoei as he popped a chocolate in his mouth and walked out of the studio.

“What’s up with him, nuna?” asked Skye.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged and ate a chocolate as well.

That night, when we went home, I took out what Shoei called my treasure chest. In it were all my CDs, DVDs and books. I think I am a loyal fan but I don’t qualify as a die-hard fan. I only have some TVXQ stuff: the 1st album I bought while on holiday in Hong Kong, for Rising Sun, I ordered the repackaged version from Japan, it had a big red book which I am happy to say now that I can read and understand. The third, I bought when I just came to Korea. I also ordered the DVD All About TVXQ from Japan before I came. In it were photos of U-Know, Jae Joong, Junsu, Yoo Chun and Chang Min. I know die-hard fans would own every single piece of merchandise with TVXQ on it, but I’d limited myself to the merchandise I felt would be meaningful to me. I took out U-Know’s photo and stared at it. Could he really like me a little bit more than normal?

In the next few months, I didn’t even have time to think about the card. Up till our single release, we were booked as opening acts for various programs. Our first performance had turned out to be the success that the management had hoped for. On the Friday before the week of our single’s release, Shi Kyung hyung gathered us around for a talk.

“You’ve all worked so hard these past months and after the release, there will be no break. It will get harder with all the promotional activities. So you guys have been granted this weekend off. Rest and don’t overdo the partying,” he ended with a knowing smile.

“Really? Chongmal? Yesss!!” Skye cheered and jumped on the table.

Shoei was all smiles, “Thank you, hyung. Who else would’ve requested this day off for us but you?”

“Yes, thanks a lot, hyung.”

For the first time in these long, long months, the guys and I went out for dinner. We ate and ate and drank like it was our last meal. We had barbequed meat lots of cold dishes and my favourite glass noodles fried with vegetables. Honestly, I still don't eat kimchi. I still prefer hot and fresh food. This is a very traditional Chinese trait of mine. I didn’t drink much of course. I was the nuna and had to stay sober. Actually, only Skye got drunk. Shoei can really hold his liquor. During the meal, my phone rang. It was a number I did not recognize. I got up and walked to a corner.

“Yoboseyo.”

“Sierra, U-Know here.”

I almost choked on the meat I was chewing on.

“Ah, U-Know oppa. Why are you calling?”

“You don’t want me to call you? Mianhae.”

“Ani, ani, I mean… is there anything I can help you with?” I choked out.

How smooth of me, talking to U-Know like as if I were a telephone operator.

“I got your number from Han Kyung, I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, it’s fine.”

“Well, I heard that you and the guys had the weekend off. I was wondering if you would like to go out with me tomorrow.”

“On a date?”

Omigod… did I just say date??

“Yes, it’s a date.”

Aaaaaahhhh!!!! Control yourself.

“Umm, okay. Where shall I meet you?”

“I’ll come pick you up at 10am tomorrow. Okay with you?”

“Yea, sure.”

“And Sierra…”

“Yes, oppa?”

“Don’t bring the guys. See you tomorrow.” And he hung up.

I suddenly felt weak. I must have looked like I was going to fall, cos just then, Shoei walked up to me.

“Nuna, are you okay? Who called? Did something happen?”

“Shoei…”

“Yes, nuna.”

“I have a date with U-Know tomorrow.”

When I said that, despite still being in a blur and all, I could see Shoei’s expression change and I didn’t know how to explain what kind of expression was it.

The next morning, I woke up early. I didn’t really sleep. I was afraid that if I fell asleep, then maybe the night before was a dream and U-Know never called and I didn’t have a date with him today. I checked my phone records. Yes, I received a phone call yesterday night. Maybe it was someone who called the wrong number and I imagine the whole conversation. No, someone spoke to me. Maybe it was a practical joke. Well, all I can do is get dressed and see if it was. If it was, it’s still my day off and I can go out all the same. I’ll just have to wake the guys.

I showered and started putting on light makeup while still in my underwear.

“Nuna, you’re… aaahhh!!” screamed Skye.

“Aaaahhh!!! Yah!!! Don’t you knock?” I screamed in return while looking for my towel to cover up.

“Nuna, I’ll need to see a doctor today. I’m going to get sore eyes!!”

“Oh shuddup! What did you want?”

“I heard you making so much noise so early in the morning, where are you going?”

“Oh, I forgot you were wasted yesterday night.”

“I was not!!”

“If you weren’t you’d know where I was going. Why don’t you tell me then?”

“Erm… you’re going shopping?”

“Wrong! You were wasted!!!”

“Fine, so where are you going,” Skye sulked.

“I have a date with U-Know oppa.”

“Ya… you sure? Maybe you were the one stoned yesterday.”

“Leave me alone you monkey. I need to get ready. When he comes then you will know if I was telling the truth.”

“Yes, yes. Do continue with your make-up. You will need it. Hehe!” he laughed as he bounced out of the room.

I sort of regretted saying that. What if U-Know didn’t show up? Then Skye would be laughing at me for the next month. Hai…

I finished my light makeup and started to dress. I put on my fitting cropped jeans and a tank top. Then I stuffed a jacket into my bag in case it gets chilly later tonight, put on my big hoop earrings, a necklace with a big pendant the shape of a 3-D heart and a studded belt. Shoes… hmmm… what shoes to wear? I decided that I’d be better off wearing wedges. They were a little high, but I really didn’t want to be a midget beside U-Know. 10am and still no sign of him arriving. Skye was watching a cartoon program when I emerged from my room.

“So, nuna. Where is U-Know? I told you, you were drunk.”

“It’s just 10am. He could be late. Where is Shoei?”

“He’s doesn’t want to wake up. Maybe he doesn’t feel well.”

“Does he?”

I walked to their room, knocked softly and went in. Shoei was lying face down on the bed. I sat on the bed and shook Shoei gently.

“Shoei, are you okay?”

He turned around and looked at me.

“Yes, I’m fine. You look very pretty today nuna. Nomu yeppun.”

“Thanks. You sure you’re okay.”

“Yes, nuna.”

There was a long silence and then Shoei spoke again.

“Nuna?”

“Oh, wae?”

“Have you ever heard this, a girl is most beautiful when she is leaving you, on the day you break up?”

“Hmm? What’s this? You like a girl?”

“Oh. I like a girl. But I think she doesn’t like me as much as I do her.”

“Who is she? Don’t worry Shoei, if you really love her, she will come to know your heart someday,” I said as I pushed his hair back.

Shoei caught my hands and held them to his cheek.

“Nuna, if you were the girl and you had someone like U-Know wanting to date you, would you still want me?”

“You’re very weird these days, Shoei. Hmm, let me think. U-Know is wonderful of course. But if you can prove that you are more sincere than someone like U-Know, I am sure this girl will come to love you.”

“Chongmal?”

“Chongmal.”

“Nunaaaa!!! Your date is here!!!” shouted Skye from the living room.

“I’ve got to go. See you tonight.”

“Nuna…” Shoei called out as I got up.

“We’ll talk when I come home tonight,” I said as I closed the door.

“Hey nuna, it’s really U-Know,” Skye said, almost in awe.

“Yes, are you happy now?”

“Yes, neomu haengbokhae!” he teased.

“Good. I’m going now. Check on Shoei later. Bring him out. I think he needs some cheering up. Bye!!”

“Bye!”

As the lift descended, I looked at my reflection, checking to see if my hair was out of place. I’d tied it in a tight pony tail and smoothed all the loose hairs back and held them with hairspray. I hope it doesn’t come undone or I’d look like a mad woman. As the elevator door opened, I saw U-Know standing just outside the entrance to my apartment block. He was holding a fluffy penguin in one arm and waving with the other.

“Annyong!”

“Annyong!”

“I found this guy hitchhiking by the road. I think he was trying to get to you, so I brought him over,” he smiled as he handed me the penguin.

“Thank you. You’re too kind.”

“Ya… I’m U-Know Yun Ho. Of course I am kind. So where do you want to go?” he asked as he opened the card door for me.

U-Know drove a black and red Mini. One of my favourite cars.

“Mollayo. Actually, I didn’t think you’d come either. I thought someone was pulling my leg.”

“Sierra-ya, you really hurt me! I was so sincere last night, how can you doubt me,” he complained while pouting.

“Mian, mian. I just never thought someone as cool as U-Know oppa would pay attention to me.”

“First of all, call me Yun Ho, since that is my real name. But you can still call me oppa since we’re dating,” he winked and started the car.

“So where are we going?”

“For a girl who has never been around in Korea, let’s do all the stuff normal couples in Korea do when on a date. Okay?”

“Okay,” I replied, almost in a whisper. Every time he mentions the word date or dating, I feel hot all over.

The first thing we did was go for breakfast. Since I had a craving for hash browns and I’d been put on a strict diet, we went to McDonalds.

“Wow! I thought I ate a lot for a guy. You sure eat a lot for a girl,” said Yun Ho.

“Umm… I haven’t had food like that for a long time,” I said, suddenly feeling like a pig.

“Don’t be shy. It’s great that you eat. I hate to see girls nibble at their food and pretend they’re not hungry. Then when they’re at home or alone, they stuff themselves. You’re honest, I like it.”

“Thanks…”

Breakfast lasted until almost 1pm. We had so much to talk about. It turned out we had so much in common, despite the age gap. Why do I feel so old?

“You were inspired by Michael Jackson? No way. Usually girls would say Beyonce or J-Lo.”

“I was. People used to say I danced more like a guy. But there is no such thing as that is there. What you look like when you dance depends on the mood and expression you put into it. Why does it have to be defined by gender?”

“I totally agree. Wow… you’re such an eye opener. Are Malaysians that different or is it just you.”

“Sometimes I feel so alone in this world. So maybe it’s just me.”

“I understand what you’re saying. Sometimes I feel like that too.”

“I suppose you do, especially since you came out with that story about your man-boobs. Haha!”

“Hey. It’s a sensitive issue. Don’t bring it up again. Or I may have to get an injection.”

“Mian. Well at least, when I feel tired, you can let me lie on them. I’m sure they’re pretty comfortable.”

Did I just say that? Oops! Must have been thinking aloud.

“You’d better mean what you just said,” said Yun Ho, looking at me meaningfully.

I was lost for words and immediately looked down at my cup of tea.

“Come, let’s go. Lots to do,” said Yun Ho, taking my hand and pulling me up to my feet.

Yun Ho took me to the Munjeongdong Fashion Street and we spent the rest of the afternoon browsing one designer shop after the other. I didn’t buy anything since I was still on a limited allowance. I don’t have any album sales income yet. Hopefully after next week, all this will change and I can come back here and buy anything I want. After shopping, we caught a movie. I ran quickly to the toilet before the movie while Yun Ho bought the snacks and drinks.

Somewhere in the middle of the movie:

“Sierra,” Yun Ho whispered.

“Oh,” I said and I turned to him. Just then, he kissed me lightly on the cheek.

I cannot describe how I felt at that moment. I was so embarassed that I slid down the seat.

“Are you okay?” Yun Ho said as he pulled me up.

“Yes. Just a little shocked.”

“Mian. I’ve wanted to do that all day.”

“Hmm?”

“Honestly, you look so cute today. You look even more beautiful than that day at the club.”

“Thanks…” I whispered, still embarrassed and Yun Ho squeezed my hand.

After the movie, we went for dinner. I still felt a bit shy from that kiss.

“Ya… Sierra, if you don’t stop looking like that, I’m going to feel very guilty and get drunk. Then we’ll see how you’re gonna get home.”

“Mian, I just feel… erm… lost.”

“Lost? You’re with me, you won’t be lost.”

“No, I mean. This is like a fantasy. Never in my life had I ever imagined I would be here with you today.”

“You better start treating me like a human for a change. Or I’m going to get tired of you,” said Yun Ho in a stern voice.

I stared at him in shock. He’s right. He’s human. Why am I acting like he is a god? I mean, I’m here aren’t I? I’m sitting in front of him. I should act like it’s the most normal thing ever.

“Ya… I’m just joking. Don’t cry,” laughed Yun Ho.

“Huh? Oh, mian. No, I’m not gonna cry. Kotjongman.”

“Good. To tell you the truth, I think if I’m not U-Know Yun Ho, you would’ve slapped me in the cinema just now.”

With that remark, we both laughed uncontrollably.

“Yes, you may be right,” I replied laughing.

After dinner, Yun Ho sent me home. This time he came up the elevator with me and walked me to the door.

“Thanks for today,” I said.

“No, I should say thank you. I’ve not been on a date for a long time. This has been an eye opener.”

“What do you mean by that?” I glared at him.

“Ani, nothing,” he said, trying to maintain a straight face.

“Yah!” I shouted and smacked him on the shoulder, “What was that suppose to mean?”

“Nothing, shhh… everyone can hear.”

“Come on, tell me,” I pleaded.

“Okay… I was thinking about breakfast, when you were embarrassed about your appetite.”

“Huh? God!! I thought what was it that I did that was so funny.”

“You’re not funny, you’re cute,” he said and guided me gently until my back was against the wall outside my apartment.

“I am? Chintch’a?”

“Chintch’a,” he whispered, then he kissed my cheek.

I kissed him back and this time he was the one who was shocked for a moment. He smiled and pulled away.

“It’s late. I’d better go. I’ll call you tomorrow?”

“Okay.”

He walked to the elevator and waved at me like a madman before the door closed. In the quiet corridor outside my apartment, I giggled to myself. Today was so beautiful. Oh, how I wish everyday could be like this.

I punched in the code and the door opened. As I walked in, I saw Shoei sitting on the sofa alone.

“You’re still awake. Were you waiting for me?”

“No,” Shoei said as he got up and went to his room.

Something is wrong with Shoei. Could it be that girl he talked about this morning? I made a mental note to talk to him tomorrow as I went into my room. That night, I dreamt of Yun Ho and penguins dancing with me in the park.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bernz here,

LOL yunho and those corny lines..
HEEE <3 it...its a little late im going to sleep but I am going to read more laterr...its so interestinggg

Unknown said...

omg... a date with yunho oppa?!
aishhh... but i will prefer it if its with my jae.. oopss.. should be OUR jae.. ahahah..
lolxx.. skype would surely suffer from eyesore.. ahahahh.. jkjk..